Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Program
Tinnitus is commonly known as ringing in the ears. However, tinnitus can also take the form of a variety of other sounds such as crickets, the ocean, roaring, buzzing, etc. Tinnitus affects 17% of the general population. Approximately, 75% of those experiencing tinnitus are not bothered by it. For the remaining 25%, their tinnitus can negatively impact their life.
Hyperacusis is a decreased tolerance for sound. Approximately 40% of patients with tinnitus can also experience hyperacusis. Patients with hyperacusis can experience physical pain and discomfort to everyday sounds. Hyperacusis is treated through the use of sound therapy to restore normal sensitivity to sound.